Events

Doing Business with Government Agencies and Higher Education

Harvard Ed Portal, 224 Western Ave., Allston

Join the Harvard Ed Portal for an information session designed for vendors, especially small businesses and entrepreneurs, interested in learning how to do business with Harvard University, federal, state, and local government agencies. The workshop includes a summary of their goods and services procurement processes, and an overview of some of their purchasing programs and services. This free information session is presented in partnership with Harvard Strategic Procurement and the City of Boston Small Business Administration office.

Read more about Doing Business with Government Agencies and Higher Education

Harvard Careers in Construction Information Session

Harvard Ed Portal, 224 Western Ave, Allston

Are you considering a career in the building trades but don't have any experience? The Harvard Careers in Construction Program (HCCP) provides training, resources, mentoring, work experience, and job search assistance in preparation for the Building Pathways Program and Building Trade Apprenticeships. HCCP aims to help participants secure gainful, long-term employment in the construction industry. Join us for an information session to learn more and apply!

Note: You must be an Allston, Brighton or Cambridge resident or Ed Portal member to participate....

Read more about Harvard Careers in Construction Information Session

Harvard Careers in Construction: Information Session #1

Harvard Ed Portal, 224 Western Ave, Allston

Are you considering a career in the building trades but don't have any experience? The Harvard Careers in Construction Program (HCCP) provides training, resources, mentoring, work experience, and job search assistance in preparation for the Building Pathways Program and Building Trade Apprenticeships. HCCP aims to help participants secure gainful, long-term employment in the construction industry. Join us for an information session to learn more and apply!

Note: You must be an Allston, Brighton or Cambridge resident or Ed Portal member to participate...

Read more about Harvard Careers in Construction: Information Session #1

Taxes for Artists - Evening Session

What can I deduct? Should I bring receipts to my accountant? Is my art a business or a hobby? What is a Schedule C? How do I deduct my home studio?

The Boston Foundation's Live Arts Boston program and the Harvard Ed Portal are proud to present a workshop with Hannah Cole, a tax expert who specializes in working with creative businesses and artists. A long-time working artist with a high-level exhibition history, Hannah founded Sunlight Tax to respond to the financial...

Read more about Taxes for Artists - Evening Session

Taxes for Artists - Daytime Session

What can I deduct? Should I bring receipts to my accountant? Is my art a business or a hobby? What is a Schedule C? How do I deduct my home studio?

The Boston Foundation's Live Arts Boston program and the Harvard Ed Portal are proud to present a workshop with Hannah Cole, a tax expert who specializes in working with creative businesses and artists. A long-time working artist with a high-level exhibition history, Hannah founded Sunlight Tax to respond to the financial challenges of freelancers and small...

Read more about Taxes for Artists - Daytime Session

What CEOs Say: Dan Houston, Principal Financial Group

Livestreamed

"What CEOs Say” is a one-of-a-kind series of candid and inspirational interviews centered around the real how-to’s of this endeavor. The interviews will focus on CEOs who have successfully executed a Culture of Health, talking about how they actually did so. Discussions will focus on formulating the business case and calculating its return on investment, as well as providing clear steps to overcome barriers and implement change. Most importantly, the highlighted CEOs will serve as role models for how to reap the rewards of a robust Culture of Health for your business. “What CEOs Say” is...

Read more about What CEOs Say: Dan Houston, Principal Financial Group

Making the Most of a Market

Participating in an arts market is not just an opportunity to show and sell, it’s also a way of expanding visibility for your work and making authentic connections with audiences. Make the most of your market experience by learning best practices for before, during, and after your event. This free workshop will help you:

• strengthen your outreach strategy through social media, e-marketing, and print materials;
    • sharpen your planning process and develop a thoughtful presentation;
    • discover how to capture the interest of your audience, make a...
    Read more about Making the Most of a Market

Business Bootcamp for the Working Artist

Who says there is no clear path to becoming a successful artist? This workshop demystifies the business steps artists take when starting their career or building their practice to the next level. Learn the eight most important things to get your art work out of the studio and into the hands of a buyer. This workshop is a condensed version of the popular Boston SCORE Business Bootcamp tailored specifically for artists.

Read more about Business Bootcamp for the Working Artist

Learning From Your Competition

One of the best ways to prepare for starting your own business is to understand how similar businesses operate. Sometimes they'll be your direct competitors, but often your best resource. It’s both easy and practical to learn what they’re doing by talking openly with the owners and managers of those businesses. Beyond that, there is an enormous amount of free information available online about competitors from business websites, trade associations, and government records.

In this free workshop, you’ll learn how to find owners and managers who will be happy to talk with you,...

Read more about Learning From Your Competition

Housing Symposium, “Reframing Housing Development: How Changes in Design, Construction, and Regulation Could Reduce the Cost of Housing”

Harvard Graduate School of Design, Gund Hall, Piper Auditorium, Room 105, 48 Quincy St., Cambridge

What can be done to reduce the cost of housing, particularly in the United States? To help answer this question, we will bring together a diverse mix of people... Read more about Housing Symposium, “Reframing Housing Development: How Changes in Design, Construction, and Regulation Could Reduce the Cost of Housing”