Events

2021 Feb 15

I Heart Science: Faraway Worlds

1:00pm to 2:30pm

Harvard Museums of Science & Culture—Online

Break out of the winter doldrums and welcome Harvard science into your home with the all-virtual I Heart Science festival lasting from Friday, February 12 to Monday, February 15. This day’s “Faraway Worlds” theme looks at exploration of places hard to get to such as space, deep oceans, and the distant past.

During the live webinar, starting at 1:00 pm ET, meet Harvard researchers studying how we study the sun and what we hope to learn from missions to Mars.

At home, try your hand at investigating light, explore what we know about coelacanths and hear the story...

Read more about I Heart Science: Faraway Worlds
    2021 Feb 14

I Heart Science: Love the Earth

1:00pm to 2:00pm

Break out of the winter doldrums and welcome Harvard science into your home with the all-virtual I Heart Science festival lasting from Friday, February 12 to Monday, February 15. This day’s “Love the Earth” theme looks at how we are taking care of our planet and the geology that makes it all possible.

During the live webinar, starting at 1:00 pm ET, meet Harvard researchers studying how we can design batteries large enough to power a building and investigate what it takes to save endangered species.

At home, try your hand at growing crystals, modeling volcanos, and...

Read more about I Heart Science: Love the Earth
    2021 Feb 13

I Heart Science: Tiny Creatures

Break out of the winter doldrums and welcome Harvard science into your home with the all-virtual I Heart Science festival lasting from Friday, February 12 to Monday, February 15. This day’s “Tiny Creatures” theme looks at bacteria, viruses, and other microbial creatures.

During the live webinar, starting at 1:00 pm ET, meet live tardigrades, also known as water bears. Watch recorded videos featuring Harvard scientists who study bacterial resistance, ways to test for viruses, and how bacteria grow.

At home, try your hand at making a water-drop microscope, comparing...

Read more about I Heart Science: Tiny Creatures
    2021 Feb 12

I Heart Science: Incredible Evolution

Break out of the winter doldrums and welcome Harvard science into your home with the all-virtual I heart Science festival lasting from Friday, February 12 to Monday, February 15. Today’s “Incredible Evolution” theme looks at ways that animals have adapted to their environments.

During the live webinar, starting at 1pm ET, meet Harvard researchers studying how brains evolve and how stress can enhance performance.

At home, watch recorded videos by Harvard scientists studying mice behavior or try your hand at comparing bone structures, collecting...

Read more about I Heart Science: Incredible Evolution
    2020 Oct 22

National Fossil Day

9:00am to 2:00pm

Harvard Museum of Natural History—Online

Celebrate National Fossil Day—a celebration organized by the National Park Service—by taking a closer look at museum fossils with Harvard paleontologists. What can we see on ancient seafloors? How do modern animals help us understand extinct animals? What fossils still amaze scientists? What is it like to be a practicing paleontologist? Bring your curiosity and questions to this online event for all ages!

Learn more about and RSVP for National...

Read more about National Fossil Day
    2020 Oct 15

Astronauts: Women on the Final Frontier

7:00pm

Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian—Online

The first person who will set foot on Mars is alive right now. We believe this, but even if we're wrong we know the first crew to arrive there will look nothing like the ones that landed on the Moon fifty years ago.

Our world has changed for the better, and ASTRONAUTS tells the story of the women who built this better world. The main character and narrator is Mary Cleave, an astronaut you may not have heard of. It's not because so many people have been to space; only a few hundred have! It’s because this graphic novel isn’t about fame. No astronaut you'll ever meet took the...

Read more about Astronauts: Women on the Final Frontier
    2020 Oct 14

Wonderful Cambrian Beasts

6:00pm to 7:00pm

Harvard Museum of Natural History—Online

Earth is home to a vast diversity of organisms that collectively define the modern biosphere. How did this diversity come to be? Javier Ortega-Hernández will discuss his approach to answering this question by studying organisms that lived more than half a billion years ago in the Cambrian Period (485–541 million years ago). By focusing on the earliest-known animals—some of the most versatile to ever exist—Ortega-Hernández aims to reconstruct the early evolutionary history of major animal groups and contribute to our understanding of Earth’s biodiversity.

Read more about Wonderful Cambrian Beasts
    2020 Sep 17

Observatory Night: What Stars Are Made Of

7:00pm

Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian—Online

Join the Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian for a virtual Public Observatory Night with guest lecturer Donavan Moore, author of "What Stars Are Made Of: The Life of Cecilia Payne-Gaposchkin."

It was not easy being a woman of ambition in early twentieth-century England, much less one who wished to be a scientist. Cecilia Payne-Gaposchkin overcame prodigious obstacles to become a woman of many firsts: the first to receive a PhD in astronomy from Radcliffe College, the first promoted to full professor at Harvard, the first to head a department there. And, in what...

Read more about Observatory Night: What Stars Are Made Of