Events

2021 Feb 13

I Heart Science: Tiny Creatures

1:00pm to 2:30pm

Harvard Museums of Science & Culture—Online

Break out of the winter doldrums and welcome Harvard science into your home with the all-virtual I Heart Science festival lasting from Friday, February 12 to Monday, February 15. This day’s “Tiny Creatures” theme looks at bacteria, viruses, and other microbial creatures.

During the live webinar, starting at 1:00 pm ET, meet live tardigrades, also known as water bears. Watch recorded videos featuring Harvard scientists who study bacterial resistance, ways to test for viruses, and how bacteria grow.

At home, try your hand at making a water-drop microscope, comparing...

Read more about I Heart Science: Tiny Creatures
    2020 Oct 15

Astronauts: Women on the Final Frontier

7:00pm

Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian—Online

The first person who will set foot on Mars is alive right now. We believe this, but even if we're wrong we know the first crew to arrive there will look nothing like the ones that landed on the Moon fifty years ago.

Our world has changed for the better, and ASTRONAUTS tells the story of the women who built this better world. The main character and narrator is Mary Cleave, an astronaut you may not have heard of. It's not because so many people have been to space; only a few hundred have! It’s because this graphic novel isn’t about fame. No astronaut you'll ever meet took the...

Read more about Astronauts: Women on the Final Frontier
    2020 Oct 14

Wonderful Cambrian Beasts

6:00pm to 7:00pm

Harvard Museum of Natural History—Online

Earth is home to a vast diversity of organisms that collectively define the modern biosphere. How did this diversity come to be? Javier Ortega-Hernández will discuss his approach to answering this question by studying organisms that lived more than half a billion years ago in the Cambrian Period (485–541 million years ago). By focusing on the earliest-known animals—some of the most versatile to ever exist—Ortega-Hernández aims to reconstruct the early evolutionary history of major animal groups and contribute to our understanding of Earth’s biodiversity.

Read more about Wonderful Cambrian Beasts